Starting a factory? While “quick and dirty” may be the easiest business model to follow, the OECD is encouraging start-ups to start smart, with sustainability in mind. The OECD Sustainable Manufacturing Toolkit is a seven-step checklist to help businesses integrate good environmental practice, and stay on the side of investors, regulators, customers and local communities.(286 words)
OECD expresses sympathy with the people of Japan
In the wake of the devasting earthquake that struck northeast Japan, OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurría said: “I have written to Prime Minister Kan. It is with great sorrow that we received the news of the earthquake and the subsequent tsunamis affecting many coastal areas. On behalf of all of us working at the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development, I would like to transmit our deep sympathy and support in these difficult circumstances. Our thoughts are with the Japanese people, especially those who lost their loved ones.”
Will the world economy brighten in 2014 compared with 2013?
- Lessons from PISA outcomes
- Tax, decentralisation and intergovernmental relations
- Sahel: the search for security
- Banking, ethics and good principles
- Measuring development goals
- Africa must reap the benefits
- OECD Observer Crossword No.3 2013
- Quality apprenticeships: The new degree?
- Who’s smiling now
- Cleaner Dutch energy: A tax success?