Development aid fell by 4% in real terms in 2012, following a 2% fall in 2011. Though this decline must be reversed, it is not the only issue to address. Also being questioned is how that aid is measured in the first place. As Jon Lomoy explains, while it is high time to revisit the concept of official development assistance, the outcome of the discussion will influence the effectiveness of development policy over the next decade or more.(932 words)
Could action on gender help jumpstart efforts to make the Millennium Development Goals deadline by 2015? The third goal already explicitly aims to “promote gender equality and empower women” (MDG3), but gender has a direct and profound impact on several other targets, too.(234 words)
Will the world economy brighten in 2014 compared with 2013?
- Lessons from PISA outcomes
- President Nelson Mandela: Some personal reflections
- Tax, decentralisation and intergovernmental relations
- Sahel: the search for security
- Banking, ethics and good principles
- Who’s smiling now?
- Africa must reap the benefits
- Measuring development goals
- France and PISA: spurring reform?
- Innovation in Latin America